"Teacher as Audience"
I really liked this part. It's so easy to view the teacher as the provider of knowledge and the one with all the answers totally neglecting the fact that there is a world already existing within our students.
Being a good audience member means knowing the correct times to applaud and the correct times to be quiet.
Being a good audience member means encouraging that performer with your presence.
Allowing a child to know that they have your attention and that you are watching them learn, can be much greater than you showing them what you want to see. This also allows them to show you their interpretation of the world and not only gives you insight to who they are, but can often give their own selves, insight into who they are. Through this exploration and students making discoveries in their own way and in their own time, I beleive they have received the most authentic learning experience and it will be one that they will remember.
The point about children needing time to learn,I COMPLETELY AGREE. I feel like because of all of the standardization, true childhood is being ripped away from our children. They are'nt allowed to wonder or search. They don't get to seek and find. In essence we strip them of the creativity and send the message that they all must be the same.
WOW......I say all of this and feel such a great sense of conviction to help create change. I can't control what occurs in other classrooms, but I can control what happens in mine and in mine, children will explore, they will play, it will happen. I will find a way to make it happen. I gotta be the change I want to see, just like Gandhi said. :)
And these are my thoughts while reading. :)
Sunday, September 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment