Sunday, September 27, 2009

Tales 3,4,6

As teachers, it is important for us to be conscious at all times of our teaching methods. Like the book said, sometimes we accidentally focus more on teaching through our own intelligences because that is what comes most naturally to us. We need to encourage ourselves, as well as our students, to test our many different ways of learning. By doing this, we allow our students to expand and develop other aspects of themselves and their learning. "A 'teacher' can also be another student or an adult as well as the actual teacher." I LOVED this sentence from the reading. I think it is easy to forget that the students can learn so much from each other, as well as the teacher being able to learn from the students. They may be young, but they also have a story to bring to the table and things to share with the class. Their perspective can help open the eyes of other students as well as the teacher. Just because we are the teacher in the classroom, doesn't mean we can't also be a student at times.

Because of the different intelligences, learning styles, and individual student's needs, there really is no good way to fairly evaluate their intelligence on one big scale. I feel like many people in education are aware of the differences in our students, yet we still have a CRCT based classroom. I don't want to get on a soapbox and I understand the need for some sort of assessment for students at the end of each grade, but wouldn't it be great to be able to incorporate all of these intelligences in that test??

No comments:

Post a Comment