Saturday, September 12, 2009

Differentiated Instruction Ch. 8-10

When I think back to the lessons I vividly remember in school, they were the lessons that I was actively involved in and had interest in. It only makes sense to use this idea in my own classroom. While all students do not have the same interests, there is a way to get them interested by using another way of grabbing their attention. Say for example, a student loves to write but has no interest in learning about the American Revolution. This child could write from the perspective of someone during the American Revolution. They not only are doing something that interests them but learning about this war at the same time. This could also be adjusted for learning styles as well.

Overall, I thought these chapters seemed like an obvious thing but reading how these situations worked within the classroom only makes me wonder why we haven't been teaching like this in the first place! I mean if students are learning in ways other than what the state or school believes is necessary then does it really matter? Isn't the job of a teacher to make sure that students master the topics taught in the classroom? By including their interests as well as our own, we are only excelling their chance at better learning, now and in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment