As I was reading through these chapters I began to picture the classroom that I am placed in. At our school we have to differentiate instruction all the time, the whole school has to. The class is split in half, half going to science/social studies and the other half staying with us in the classroom. Then from the half of the class we have, we spilt them in half again from reading. With groups this small we are able to work through individual struggles. I find that this method works really well, and as I was reading I was surprised to see so many similarities to what we do in our classroom.
One thing that stood out to me that I really liked was when the book talked about the “flexible grouping,” because students can be better in one subject than they are in another. This is also done in my classroom most of the time. In our classroom the OE teacher comes in certain days during math and reading to take the students who can go beyond what is being taught that day. The group is not always the same group of children that go with this teacher. My teacher chooses which ones go by observing how they are moving through their work. So, the ones that understand the concept get pulled out, while the ones that might need a little extra help understanding have move one on one time to work through their different problem. By doing this we are not holding back the children who can go ahead. This seems to work well with our kids. With some of the class gone we are able to work more individual with the children that need more help.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment