While reading through chapters 1-7 I got a better understanding of what differentiated instruction is. I have heard it throughout my placements but never really asked anymore about it. I think that it is important to give the students different ways to learn the material instead of just letting them take notes or listen to the teacher. I think that teaching the students through differentiated instruction is more beneficial because not all students learn the same way and this allows for multiple teaching strategies to be introduced. One student may not respond to a certain activity while another student might.
I also thought it was interesting when it talked about the role of the teacher in a classroom where differentiated instruction is being taught. A teacher has to move away from their usual role as keepers and dispensers of knowledge and move toward seeing themselves as organizers of learning opportunities. I think this is an important thing that teachers have to realize. It is ok to not just stand up in front of a classroom and teach which is harder for some teachers to realize. Teachers are going to have to stand back and let the students experience the learning on their own while they are there to help.
Monday, September 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment