Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Chapters 1-7

While I was reading these chapters my mind kept drifting back to two theorists that we learned about oh 2 semesters ago, Dewey and Montessori. Dewey kept coming to mind anytime the book would talk about making the information meaningful to the students instead of just learning the facts. By differentiating the topics in which you might teach someone this allows more than one student to have an interest in the subject. Now, my concern is there a way that we can please everyone and chose a topic that can spark every students interest. I am inclined to believe that this is not always achievable however, if you cannot "hook" the students on the topic but maybe the teach might be able to do it with the activity that might be more in tune with how those students learn best. In order to differentiate properly a teacher must know their students well enough to know their interests, likes, dislikes, previous knowledge, and how they learn best. Most of this needs to be done before a teacher can really start planning her lessons.

The second theorist that really was present was Montessori. I feel as if she was the ultimate differentiator. Her theory on teaching was that in which each students could progress and learn at his or her pace and that the teacher was a constant observer and assessing the students without their knowledge most of the time. Even though I do enjoy her theory in teaching and agree with most of it I have a tendency to like how the book talked about also working in small groups and having some lessons that the teacher instructs. I persoanlly feel like there needs to be some aspects of the Montesorri teaching style in a classroom that allows for discovery and a deeper understanding of the information and concepts that the students are learning about. I do feel that whole group activites are also important as well.

I always knew that you, as a teacher, needs to help establish a community of learners throughout her classroom so that her students know that they are in a safe and supportive environment. This book really helped me understand the why it is so important for teachers to set this understanding and respect up for each student so that they can reach his or her full potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment