Thursday, September 10, 2009

D.I. Chapters 8-10

First off, let me start by saying that you know you're reading a quality book when you want to highlight everything! I really enjoyed reading these three chapters regarding how to plan lessons using student readiness, interests, and learning profiles. The most memorable information to me was the metaphor on pages 46-47, which compared differentiated instruction to the equalizer buttons on a stereo. I LOVED THIS!!! It clearly shows how students can be weak in some areas yet strong in others, and that that is OKAY! In my car, I have the dials set to certain preferences, but if I were to give you a ride you might think, "Wow! Her bass is turned up waaaay too much!" Hopefully you would respect my preferences and I would respect yours. It's the same deal with students and their needs--all of their dials are going to need different adjustments, but they are all still stereos, right?

This may sound kind of dumb, but it kind of got me thinking about having a visual "dials" chart for each of my students. I'm a very visual person, and this would be a great tool for me to evaluate, re-evaluate, and adjust each students' needs at any given time.

LOVE THIS!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment