Monday, September 28, 2009

Tales.... 3, 4, and 5

A couple of different things stuck out to me throughout chapter 3. The teacher takes many important roles in the classroom. First off the teacher sets the environment, which is so true. Teachers have to remember that the students might not all learn like they do. I even catch myself teaching things in the different ways I learn best, forgetting to think about how my students might learn. We as teachers need to make sure we don’t let our intelligences take over the way we teach different concepts to the students in our class or even the ways we set up our rooms.

Another thing that stood out in these chapters was the different roles of the teacher. The teacher as a “broker of information”, teacher as a helper, and teacher as a audience. Teacher as a helper was interesting to me because helping does not have to always be direct it can be indirect also. Giving a child new markers or new pencils if that child is a visual learner would be helping their intelligence. I never really thought about it that way, but it makes really good sense. I know that if I like to draw and write the different things I was learning, and I got new pencils, pens, or markers to write with I would feel great. I have also realized in my placement that my students like for the teacher to watch what they are doing. I try to call the students up to the board, or let them try to explain their thinking to me and to the class during the different activities we do throughout the day. This gives them the teachers attention as an audience. It seems like they focus and pay attention a lot more when the teacher and the other students are their audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment