Monday, September 7, 2009

differentiated instruction Lacy

Chapters 1-7 focuses on differentiated instruction. This is something that I have heard about over and over in the last year, but have seen very little of. Students should be given the opportunity to take many avenues towards learning. But, when is this put into practice? For the most part, I see teachers showing consistency in their teaching. Everything is taught the same way each and every day. I believe that consistency is very important. However, how does this reach the student who is not grasping concepts by learning from this angle? How is it effective to lecture students and not allow them to give their own input. I think that differentiated instruction is not focused on enough in the classroom. At a previous placement I remember an administrator constantly referring to "differentiated instruction." Not only did she talk about this, but there were workshops given to the teachers at this school to help guide them in how to do this. I think that more focus needs to be placed on this concept so that teachers can understand its importance and how it is used appropriately in the classroom. Students need to be given more choice in their learning so that they can succeed, as well as feel comfortable in the learning environment. Clearly, everything that we do as teachers cannot meet the needs of every student at all times. However, through differentiated instruction it is more likely that students will find ways to learn that are most effective for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment