While I was reading these three chapters I was trying to figure out how to relate the information in the book into the unit that we will be planning later this semester. After I read all three chapters I tried to figure out how the chapters related. This is what I came up with:
In my mind chapter three has laid out a fantastic frame for us to plan a unit. It makes us focus on what the students need to know, what they will do in order to know (or learn) what they need to know, and what the impact of what they know and did will have on their character as citizens of this country. I struggled a little bit with the BE part of the pyramid for awhile but I think maybe now I might understand. The BE part of the framework may be hard to achieve put it is the entire purpose for teaching your unit. I had a hard time thinking of how one could teach character through a unit on Pumpkins. I know that is Dr.D’s favorite unit subject…. I finally came to the conclusion that if you think hard enough there is a way to find the BE in just about any unit subject. Certainly you cannot have meaningful curriculum without a BE part of the framework. The purpose of teaching is to create enduring understanding and that should go beyond academics and facts. So then chapter four explains in a little bit more detail about the Know part of the framework. I got my illustration of lenses from the management reading that I just finished. The external alignment is the wide angle lens which focuses on the standards and tests for the grade level. The internal alignment is the zoom lens which focuses on making the standards make sense to your individual students and how to apply the standards in your unique classroom. Both lenses are needed to create meaningful curriculum. The last chapter explains how assessments are related to the DO pyramid. Some of the examples on how to give effective assessments made me think of Michelle, Kayleigh Harkins, and my proposal for the GAYC conference. Our topic is on how to implement play into the classroom as tools for assessment. In this case play would be an excellent way for the students to demonstrate their knowledge at the top tier of the DO pyramid.
Monday, August 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment