Monday, August 31, 2009

Reading Response Chapter 3-5

Something that stood out to me in this reading was the “backwards design.” I really like the idea of coming up with the assessment before you plan your activities. I have noticed in my experiences in placement that some of my teachers pick the activities before they decide what they really want the students to know. It makes sense to figure out what you want your students to gain from what you teach them (the KNOW) before you actually teach them (the DO). In my placement this is something that they are kind of starting to do, and I can tell that it is working for these students. She knows what she wants the students to get out of her lessons by making the assessments before she teaches that specific lesson.

I like the idea of the “BE” being a teacher means more than just teaching the student’s academic knowledge. We are also teaching them to be citizens of the USA. Some students get this teaching at home, but there are some that are not getting what they need to become better people or active members of the community. So I believe that by adding the “BE” to what you are teaching is awesome!

I really like the idea of assessing students in different ways other than just using the paper and pencil method. That method gets boring after a while. I do understand that some assessments need to be done that way, but not all of them. I like the idea of assessing students by doing something to show they understand the “So what” part, instead of just being able to recall the information. By using these kinds of assessments you are able to see if the student fully understands what you taught them.

No comments:

Post a Comment