I really enjoyed the overall concept of the KNOW/DO/BE framework. The analogy by Jim Penner that suggested the KNOW/DO/BE chart should be more like a tree falls very closely with the way I feel about our role as educators. Yes, the students need to know the information, yes, our students need to have the do portion, and it is the be that sprouts from a successful relationship in the schools. It is also so important for the "so what?" portion of the lesson that Dr. D reminds us of all the time :). Students will retain and enjoy information so much more when there is relevance and understanding for them somewhere in their life pertaining to the information presented. Going to school and learning shouldn't be memorization that fades away after the test, we need to truly root the information in students by finding relevance for them with the subject.
I also know the importance of interdisciplinary approaches to concepts. Crossing over curriculum and standards helps show students how everything is involved in each other and can also reiterate the importance of a concept. I think clustering standards across curriculum can really enhancing a classroom learning environment as well as the students understanding of what is being presented. Sometimes teachers can become so conformed to their schedule of math time, reading time, etc. that they forget that these subjects can all be intertwined in order to reiterate and approach concepts across the pages.
Monday, August 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment